Tuesday, December 4, 2012

#TeaserTuesday- A Heart Not Easily Broken- Fun at the Family BBQ


When in a relationship, it's always nerve racking to meet your boyfriend/girlfriends family. Your plagued with feelings of insecurity, unsure if they'll like you,will anyone talk to you....Those feelings multiply when your significant other's family is a different race than your own.

One of my favorite scenes from A Heart Not Easily Broken is when Brian takes Ebony to his parents house for the families Fourth of July BBQ. Not only does she meet his parents,she's got to deal with his four older sisters....

Excerpt: 

“This is my sister, Lisa, Cody and Hannah’s mother. And this crazy girl is Bridget.”
Both came to shake her hand. Ebony’s voice remained warm despite the fact she squeezed the heck out of my hand.
Lisa sat back down, but Bridget remained next to me, a wicked gleam in her eyes.
“Where is everybody? I see cars out front. Where are the bodies?”
“Andrea and Caroline went to the store to grab a few things. Tim and Randall are working so they’ll be late,” Bridget informed me while studying Ebony.
“Andrea and Caroline are my other sisters. Tim and Randall are their husbands,” I said, turning to Ebony to fill her in.
“Jackson is on the way with Josh and Sara. They went to pick up some fireworks. Aunt Gina and her boys should be here soon.”
I groaned. “Tell me Dad isn’t going to be in charge of lighting them again this year.”
“After last year’s fiasco? Hell no.” Bridget leaned around me and spoke to Ebony directly. “Last year, dad burned down the gazebo. He shot off a rocket that went sideways instead of up in the air, and poof,” she demonstrated with her hands, “instant fire.”
“Oh, no.” Ebony covered her mouth to conceal her laughter.
“Fortunately, Tim and Randall are both fire-fighters. They got it quickly under control.” I pointed to the gazebo’s remains. “He’s supposed to rebuild it, but Mom refuses to let him start until after tonight’s fireworks.”
Bridget’s contagious laughter kept Ebony from being able to continue to contain her own.
“Hey, are you kids talking about me over there?” my father bellowed.
“No,” Bridget and I said in unison.
“I might be getting older, but I’m not deaf. Brian, bring your lady friend over here.”
I winked at Ebony as we walked over to the stainless-steel giant we’d chipped in to buy him on Father’s Day. The savory smell of hot dogs, steak, and chicken permeated the air.  
“Dinner looks great, Dad.”
“Me and this grill are a match made in heaven.” He took a moment to flip a row of steaks. “The kitchen is for the women. But this…” He pointed with pride to the grill. “This is man’s work. It’s like the caveman days of cooking over a pit fire.”
“Winfred, cavemen didn’t know how to make fire,” Mom said.
Everyone laughed.
“Look, woman, go grab me a beer,” Dad said. He glanced at Ebony. “So, you’re dating my son, huh?”
My heart dropped to my knees. I should have seen this coming. My dad had no problem getting to the point. We hadn’t been here for more than ten minutes and he’d already jumped to the wrong conclusion. Even though the sexual attraction was there, the only thing we’d done was kiss. I wanted more, damn, I really wanted more. But I didn’t want to push and risk the chance she’d decide we were doing too much. Bringing her to meet my family was more than I thought would ever happen. The last thing I needed my father to do was­-
“Yes, sir, I am his girlfriend.” She squeezed my hand.
Holy. Shit. My heart started beating again. I studied Ebony to make sure I heard her correctly. Her smile said it all.
 ####



 ****Amazon Best Seller in MULTICULTURAL ROMANCE and AFRICAN- AMERICAN LITERATURE & FICTION!!! BUY your copy today!!! **** Visit AMAZON and Goodreads and check out the reviews! Now available in PAPERBACK on AMAZON and BARNES&NOBLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment